The Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies -ISTC- (www.istc.cnr.it) belongs to National Research Council of Italy -CNR- (www.cnr.it), which is the largest public research Institution in Italy.
The ISTC has its headquarter in Rome, while secondary offices are placed in Catania, Padova and Trento. Its main activities consist in research, training, exploitation and technology transfer in the following Cognitive Science matters:
- Cognitive, communicative and linguistic processes: acquisition, processing, deficit, multimodality, communication technologies;
- Cognitive development, learning and socialization in children and non-human primates.
- Artificial intelligence: autonomous robotics, neural networks;
- Social cognition: behaviors, motivations, cultural processes;
- Health and society: prevention, education, integration, disability, technology design.
The ISTC has a strongly multidisciplinary approach, in fact it can counts on researches specialized in different sectors, such as psychology, linguistics, philosophy, primatology, sociology, anthropology, robotics, bioengineering, artificial intelligence, neuroscience. The ISCT pursues its mission trough the activity of several labs and research groups, which are focused on different sectors, with the final aim to increase the knowledge about the natural mind (individual, international and social), as well as about the development of simulate and artificial minds.
The Institute excellent research is testified by:
- their publications productivity (the institute publishes an average of 100 scientific articles on ISI magazines every year, as well as volumes, chapters and international conferences acts;
- the impact of its mentions; in particular referring to the H-index: n.2 researchers H-index over 40; n.5 researchers H-index between 30 and 39; n.6 researchers H-index between 20 and 29; n.18 researchers H-index between 10 and 19; n.15 researchers H-index between 5 and 9;
- the research personnel’s role, is in charge of: editors or members of ISI international magazines editorial boards; chairs of international conferences and of numerous workshops;
- invited and key-note speakers in numerous conferences, workshops, summer schools; engagement into the board international scientific associations;
- the heed upon special issues in international magazines;
- prizes and awards received;
- its strong attractiveness, that is, the number of scholars who come to the ISTC for visiting or sabbatical periods; and PhD students or postdocs sent to carry out periods of training or research at the ISTC;
- a good international relational network, not only in Europe, but also in the USA, Japan, Israel, etc.
The ISCT is engaged in umpteen European and research projects, both national and international, viewable at the web address: www.istc.cnr.it/projects/ongoing; while the list of the innumerable publications, is available at the web address: http://www.cnr.it/istituti/ProdottiDellaRicerca.html?cds=078