Boroume (“We Can”) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to reduce food waste and to fight malnutrition in Greece.
Through our “Saving & Offering Food” program we save food on a daily basis from many sources and we offer it to charities that help people who are facing food insecurity. Our actions help the most vulnerable in our society as well the environment by reducing organic food waste.
We started by saving 12 cheese pies from a bakery in 2011 and today we save & offer the equivalent of more than 20.000 portions of food on a daily basis. Since the beginning of our action we have saved & offered more than 21 million portions of food to hundreds of welfare organizations and charities all over Greece.
We approach the issue of food waste holistically through the following programs:
• “Stop Food Waste”: increasing awareness about food waste
• “Boroume at School”: educational program
• “Boroume Gleaning”: reducing food waste on the field
• “Boroume at the Farmers’ Market”: reducing food waste at farmer’s markets
• “Boroume in the Neighborhood”: informing potential food donors in a neighborhood about our food saving mechanism
Through our “We Are Family” program we provide nutritional support in an immediate, transparent and dignified way to families in great need.
Our vision is to develop a social movement to reduce food waste and at the same time increase nutritional support to people in need based on volunteer support.