European Village is a non for profit organization that was established in October 2006 in Athens, Greece.
Initially, our main purpose was to give the opportunity to young people from Greece to participate in mobility projects abroad and gain:
- social skills
- working experience through vocational trainings
- language skills
- multicultural experiences that would enable them to overcome xenophobia
- self confidence and empowerment
In order to achieve the above we participated in numerous Youth in Action projects, we coordinated four Leonardo da Vinci projects and several Grundtvig programmes. We also organized a multinational youth exchange and a training course in Greece.
So since 2006 till today we have given to more than 500 young people a chance to gain international experience through participation.
However, soon we realized that we needed to work also locally if we really went for social change. As a result of this approach, in May 2010 European Village created the first cooperative cafe in Athens, aiming to create an open social space. This is the point when we started to be more active locally, while at the same time we kept up participating in mobility projects.
Through this cooperative project we worked and still working on community building as well as on human relationships.
The main principles and orientations of the project are:
- Cooperative and solidarity economy.
- Fair and solidarity trade.
- Consumers-producers networks, quality products, degrowth
- Alternative decision making processes and Nonviolent Communication